Valentine's Musings

Here's a question that I've been pondering lately, for all of the coupled-up out there. I know that it's fairly common, when in a serious relationship, to relish getting to the point where the bathroom door gets left open, the bodily eruptions become amusing and non-blushworthy, and there's a sense of fully sharing one's intimate self with one's significant other. But do you ever wonder if maybe that complete freedom also contributes to a little bit of the lost magic? That maybe maintaining a little bit of privacy, a little mystery, a little less on display would keep some of the passion brewing?

I don't have a great deal of experience to draw on in this instance, but as much as I enjoy the humor in my current situation, with the chatter back and forth between the shower curtain and the toilet in the mornings, there are also times I think it might be nice to NOT have a picture in my head of what a certain person looks like when they're taking care of certain business. Am I being vague enough here? lol

Now, of course, you want to have your loved one's back in all situations, and they yours...you want to know that if you are incapacitated, they'll be able to roll you over, hold your hair out of the way, do whatever needs to be done without a qualm. There are times that things happen that you would *only* trust that person to be the one dealing with it...unusual, unexpected, terribly personal things that make you blush just thinking about it. We've all been there. But does having that kind of faith and comfort with someone mean they get to be privy to every little moment of human nature we have on a daily basis? Is it necessary, or even...desirable? Would it make you feel less together if you didn't have that? I'm truly curious.

With the resurgence of shows like "Mad Men," burlesque revues and style icons like Ms. Von Teese and Katy Perry, I wonder if there's a bit of hunger for a more buttoned-up sensibility. Maybe not quite a return to a pseudo-Victorian mores, where a glimpse of a wrist drives a man mad, but leaving more to the imagination than we reveal. Or maybe this is just backlash to all the reality, all the time, in our faces from the tv, the print media, and the Web.

Regardless, here's one of my favorite love songs, one whose lyrics snuck up on me after multiple listenings and makes me smile:



Live a life less ordinary
Live a life extraordinary with me
Live a life less sedentary
Live a life evolutionary with me
Well I hate to be a bother,
But it's you and there's no other, I do believe
You can call me naive but...
I know me very well (at least as far as I can tell)
And I know what I need

The night you came into my life
Well it took the bones of me, took the bones of me
You blew away my storm and strife
And shook the bones of me, shook the bones of me
By the way, I do know why you stayed away...
I will keep tongue-tied next time

Live a life less ordinary
Live a life extraordinary with me
My face had said too much
Before our hands could even touch
To greet a 'hello'
(So much for going slow...)
A little later on that year
I told you that I loved you dear
What do you know?
This you weren't prepared to hear
I'm a saddened man, I'm a broken boy
I'm a toddler with a complex toy
I've fallen apart, since the ambush of your heart

The night you came into my life
Well it took the bones of me, took the bones of me
You blew away my storm and strife
And shook the bones of me, shook the bones of me.
By the way, I do know why you stayed away
I will keep tongue-tied but...

Honey understand, honey understand
I won't make demands
Honey understand, honey understand
We could walk without a plan.
Honey understand (honey), honey understand
I won't rest in stone all alone
Honey understand, honey understand
I'm all ready to go
But you already know...

Live a life less ordinary
Live a life extraordinary with me.
If I could name you in this song
Would it make you smile and sing along?
This is the goal: to get into your soul
If I could make you dance for joy
Could that be the second-chance decoy?
The bird-in-hand I would need
To help you understand?

The night you came into my life
well it took the bones of me, took the bones of me
You blew away my storm and strife
And shook the bones of me, shook the bones of me
By the way, I do know why you stayed away
I will keep tongue-tied next time

Comments

Teresa said…
And no, I don't know who did the video. :)
Skye said…
Potty talk? Sure, I’ll chime in! (That should tell you something right there).

I don’t know when it happened in our relationship but I have an open-door potty policy. It speaks not only to the level of comfort I feel with my husband but also to how comfortable I am in my surroundings (this only applies at home, mind you). Of course, I try to not to abuse this policy and therefore practice more discrete measures when necessary but usually, I am in and out in less than a minute and it is no big deal. So I guess if I had to take a stand on the issue, I’d definitely say I am all for comfort. To me, it makes the times I do go out of my way to “keep the passion brewing” a little more special. Since I’m not one for dressing up or being mysterious or even demure, hopefully when I do step outside of my comfort zone it gets his attention and achieves the desired effect.

For me, it is more about timing anyway. When we had one bathroom, I didn’t find my husband shaving or cutting his hair very attractive because those tasks always seemed to coincide with my need to use the toilet. Now that we have our respective powder rooms, the chance that we’ll stumble across each other in the midst of grooming is slim. I kinda miss that. To me it was sort of sweet to be ogled while performing otherwise mundane tasks like plucking my eyebrows or shaving my legs.

But hey, that’s just me.
Skye said…
Oh, and who sings that song?
Teresa said…
But that's exactly what I wanted to hear, was the individual opinions! :) So it's perfect, 'just you.'

And it's Carbon Leaf...

Popular Posts