Because of Frank Oz

The library is a bastion of odd DVD's....my filmic education has been expanded by this feature, but can I honestly say I'm a better person for having seen "Hormigas en la Boca"? Hindsight will have to weigh in.

But because of the quirky nature of what I find when perusing the shelves, Jim and I found ourselves watching "In & Out" last night. I'd seen it in the theater with Mom when it first came out (pun intended) and remembered being amused and fluffed appropriately. Strange to look back on it now and see Tom Selleck, sans moustache, and Kevin Kline breaking ground later canonized by 'Brokeback Mountain'.

It did stimulate a discussion regarding psychological denial with my ever-querulous roommate, so it was worth something to rewatch, but I found myself chuckling over the following quote today and wondering how much of it was tinged by the entertainment de la nuit derniere.

"The image of John McCain in a golf cart with Bush 41 in Kennebunkport — with Poppy charmingly admitting that they were "a little jealous" of all the Obama odyssey coverage — was not a good advertisement for the future, especially contrasted with the shots of Gen. David Petraeus and Obama smiling at each other companionably in a helicopter surveying Iraq. (Asked by a Democratic lawmaker a while back why there weren't more Democrats in the military, Petraeus smiled slyly and said "there are more than you think.")"

(Courtesy the Times)

Comments

Popular Posts