Grain-fed

My boss keeps one of the most fascinating blogs I've yet to find on the web, full of poetry, art, politics, news of the weird and general tidbits and works in progress. He is as close to the definition of a Renaissance Man as you could hope to find, whether you agree with his worldview or not.

One of my favorite features is when he posts a song that has tickled his fancy for some reason...it's something I often want to do, but have always felt a one-line "Oh, you should listen to this" was never a sufficient-enough introduction. So I'm swiping his style, and will start including (if available) a YouTube of the song as well as lyrics. (Although the vids may be fan-generated. But if the song is in there in its entirety, I'm content.) Somehow posting it like that just brings it home better.

So let me start off this newfound resolution with my latest heart-boggler, a song I randomly came across listening to New Music Tuesday on The Mountain. I've liked Ray LaMontagne since his first album, and had heard the new single "Let It Be Me" off his latest "Gossip in the Grain" album, but this one, not yet getting rotation, is an ethereal beauty:



I Still Care For You

Hear me out
day follows day
light turns to clay in my hands

How to explain
so pristine the pain
it was kindness made the cut so clean

I still care for you

Hear me out
you wanted me
to be less your love than a mirror

Can't you see
what you mean to me?
(even promises may bleed)

I still care for you

The hours grow
heavy and hollow
and cruel as a grave

Open me
and you'll find only
bones burned to glass

I still care for you

Comments

Unknown said…
I love this song. So much. And I'm glad I have you, Ms. Music Appreciation, to introduce me to so much more than I would ever find no my own. I'm gonna have myself another listen right now!
Unknown said…
PS - I'd like to know how you inserted the actual YouTube image instead of just a link...

Popular Posts