Inspired by the Best
I'm finally starting to get back into my routine after the cataclysmic events of December and January, and returning to Ye Olde Blogge has been high on the normalcy checklist. I have a lot of things that need to get put up here, but catching up on friend Nikki's blog led me to make this the inaugural post of 2009. What's great is that it's actually a chain of inspiration, as she was moved to post by a friend of hers...so hopefully anyone else out there reading this will keep 'paying it forward.' Or buy for the car behind you at Starbucks...I'm easy with any generosity people feel moved to provide. :)
The particular post in question:
http://thatsmywhine.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-gravy.html
asks people to make a list of personal accomplishments in 2008. Because I tend to see myself as never quite finishing the life goals I set out to make happen, I felt like this was something I should tackle. So, here goes.
**I left jobs, plural, because I knew in my heart they weren't the right place for me, and I left them without the safety net of having another one already on the books. I'm still reaping the financial UNbenefits, but my sanity and my physical health are forever grateful.
**As a corollary to the first one, I took advice and help from a friend and applied for a job I never would've dreamed I could do, and it is a brilliant place to be. Although I think actually listening to and acting on advice that I've been given is probably the most important part of this item.
**I accepted the fact that my education is on hold, again, but that I now know I have the fortitude to finish it when the time and finances are able. And I finished the three years at Shoreline, if not with a degree, then at least with a 3.8 cumulative.
**I spent quality time with some of my oldest and dearest friends, who are my family in so many ways. It's often easy to overlook these opportunities, as busy as we all are, but we found the time.
**I finished the second year at the same apartment, and have re-signed for at least another 6 months. If work were closer, it would've been for another two years.
**I took two different children, on two different days, out for a day on my own, and the world did not fall apart. In fact, we had a blast. Those of you who know me and my lack of babysitterocity know how monumental this was.
**I shared my house with a family of non-English speakers for almost a month, and somehow, survived. And, amidst the crazy snows and ice of the season, a part-time job in retail during the holidays, and general crabbiness about it being somewhat forced upon me with little notice and no permission given, I actually enjoyed myself.
**I sang. Loud and long and 'til I was hoarse, in front of coworkers, strangers, and loved ones. Sometimes all three at once.
**I resolved, when finances are better, to rent a full-size, stand-up, earphones-included keyboard so that I can start practicing piano again. I have missed it too much, for too long.
**I made exercise a priority, and started listening to my body more carefully. We're still working out the dialogue, but at least we're on the same page. :) And I accepted that my desire for pizza, beer and chocolate will always conflict with the desire for the perfect bod, but that the effort of making the compromise work is worth the pain. Each bite and droplet of sweat now remind me of the goodness of allowing little luxuries in life.
Well, there it is, at least for tonight. I think the next post might have to feature the Intended Goals of 2009, for the sake of comparison this time 2010...
The particular post in question:
http://thatsmywhine.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-gravy.html
asks people to make a list of personal accomplishments in 2008. Because I tend to see myself as never quite finishing the life goals I set out to make happen, I felt like this was something I should tackle. So, here goes.
**I left jobs, plural, because I knew in my heart they weren't the right place for me, and I left them without the safety net of having another one already on the books. I'm still reaping the financial UNbenefits, but my sanity and my physical health are forever grateful.
**As a corollary to the first one, I took advice and help from a friend and applied for a job I never would've dreamed I could do, and it is a brilliant place to be. Although I think actually listening to and acting on advice that I've been given is probably the most important part of this item.
**I accepted the fact that my education is on hold, again, but that I now know I have the fortitude to finish it when the time and finances are able. And I finished the three years at Shoreline, if not with a degree, then at least with a 3.8 cumulative.
**I spent quality time with some of my oldest and dearest friends, who are my family in so many ways. It's often easy to overlook these opportunities, as busy as we all are, but we found the time.
**I finished the second year at the same apartment, and have re-signed for at least another 6 months. If work were closer, it would've been for another two years.
**I took two different children, on two different days, out for a day on my own, and the world did not fall apart. In fact, we had a blast. Those of you who know me and my lack of babysitterocity know how monumental this was.
**I shared my house with a family of non-English speakers for almost a month, and somehow, survived. And, amidst the crazy snows and ice of the season, a part-time job in retail during the holidays, and general crabbiness about it being somewhat forced upon me with little notice and no permission given, I actually enjoyed myself.
**I sang. Loud and long and 'til I was hoarse, in front of coworkers, strangers, and loved ones. Sometimes all three at once.
**I resolved, when finances are better, to rent a full-size, stand-up, earphones-included keyboard so that I can start practicing piano again. I have missed it too much, for too long.
**I made exercise a priority, and started listening to my body more carefully. We're still working out the dialogue, but at least we're on the same page. :) And I accepted that my desire for pizza, beer and chocolate will always conflict with the desire for the perfect bod, but that the effort of making the compromise work is worth the pain. Each bite and droplet of sweat now remind me of the goodness of allowing little luxuries in life.
Well, there it is, at least for tonight. I think the next post might have to feature the Intended Goals of 2009, for the sake of comparison this time 2010...
Comments
LOVE your list, T. I hope you stick to that resolve to get your upright piano. Now at least we all know what to put $$ toward for your birthday :)