Dios de la Abundancia
The postman always rings twice. Unless he's a postwoman, and Teresa answers the door in a fleece, a pair of sleep shorts, faux sheepskin slippers and hair in all directions. Then there's only one ring, a widening of the eyes, and a quick exchange of paperwork and packages before the sound of scurrying feet can be heard down the block.
Did you know it takes, on average, almost a month for a package to leave Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia and reach Seattle, Washington?
10:00am or so, and I'm just putting my scoops into the coffee filter. There's no other reason for anyone to be dingling our bell at this hour, and we'd been told to expect sister Jenny's package for awhile now, so I was looking forward to opening up whatever she'd wanted to send our way. After the visit in Dec-Jan, Jim got a little homesick, and asked for Jenny to send up a particular thing when she had a chance. That thing?

Meet El Equeco.
Sort of a mix between Bacchus and a cornucopia, el Equeco is a luck talisman who carries with him tangible proof of his, well, abundance. Legend has it that your wish is more likely to be granted if you offer him a cigarette in the process, but many of them come equipped with their own nowadays. I wonder if Jim's preference for the "all-natural" American Spirit brand will carry any heftier weight with His Nibs.

I rather like the tuque. One of these days, I'd like to do some research into the Aymara & Quechua clothing and hat traditions. Fascinating stuff.

Jenny also sent us an entirely ceramic mini one. Check out what he's carrying:

A boom box, a guitar, a canteen, a fish, a car, and an accordian. And that's just the part you can see in this pic.
Love it.
Did you know it takes, on average, almost a month for a package to leave Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia and reach Seattle, Washington?
10:00am or so, and I'm just putting my scoops into the coffee filter. There's no other reason for anyone to be dingling our bell at this hour, and we'd been told to expect sister Jenny's package for awhile now, so I was looking forward to opening up whatever she'd wanted to send our way. After the visit in Dec-Jan, Jim got a little homesick, and asked for Jenny to send up a particular thing when she had a chance. That thing?

Meet El Equeco.
Sort of a mix between Bacchus and a cornucopia, el Equeco is a luck talisman who carries with him tangible proof of his, well, abundance. Legend has it that your wish is more likely to be granted if you offer him a cigarette in the process, but many of them come equipped with their own nowadays. I wonder if Jim's preference for the "all-natural" American Spirit brand will carry any heftier weight with His Nibs.

I rather like the tuque. One of these days, I'd like to do some research into the Aymara & Quechua clothing and hat traditions. Fascinating stuff.

Jenny also sent us an entirely ceramic mini one. Check out what he's carrying:

A boom box, a guitar, a canteen, a fish, a car, and an accordian. And that's just the part you can see in this pic.
Love it.

Comments
Glad Jim got to share a piece of his homeland with you.
Maybe we should start offering all those girls a cancer stick and asking if we can see their fish. Bet they wouldn't wear it much longer.