The Movie Meme (for Skye)

Name a film that you have seen more than 10 times.
Clue, naturally, and probably at least 40 or 50 times all told.  There was a VHS rental store in the Moscow Mall, and every time we went there, I begged Mom to rent Clue.  Which she often did...love that she supported my obsessions even then.  :)

Name a film that you’ve seen multiple times in the cinema.
Wow, I am SO bad about going to see a movie in the theater that I honestly don't think I've ever seen one more than once in that capacity.  The ability for humans to irritate the sh** out of me renders me incapable of putting up with the theater experience when I'm not completely distracted by a new story.  And even then, I often curse the people around me.

Name an actor/actress that would make you more inclined to see a film.
Emma Thompson (totally agree with Skye); Robert Downey Jr.; Emily Mortimer; Viggo; Jean Reno; Amy Adams; Meryl Streep; Craig Ferguson; Jason Bateman; Chiwetel Ejiofor; Monica Bellucci; Guy Pearce.

  
Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a film.
Ethan Hawke; Kirsten Dunst; Mandy Moore (sorry Bert, she drives me up the WALL); Tyler Perry; Al Pacino; Sharon Stone.

Name a film that you can and do quote from.
Clue, Princess Bride, EuroTrip (my favorite quotable); A Few Good Men; and thanks to my brother, Weird Science.

Name a film musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.
Grease, Sound of Music, South Pacific.

Name a film that you would recommend everyone see.
Mary and Max.   It's an animated Australian film with Toni Collette and Philip Seymour Hoffman doing the main voices, and it's so real, sweet, sad and funny that I can't believe Jim practically had to drag me to the couch to watch it.  I'm also usually pretty good at sussing out the VO without knowing ahead of time but PSH had me TOTALLY fooled.


Ever walked out of a film?
Not really; Return of the Jedi melted onscreen right as Luke and Vader got out of the ele...wait for it...vader when we went to see it en famille in Spokane, so we had to leave while they decided whether it could be fixed or we get refunds.  About 35min later, we ended up back in our seats, so that was nice.  Kinda ruined the flow of the whole trilogy for us, esp. my brother, although not nearly as bad as Lucas did himself later on. 

Name a film that made you cry in the theater.
Oh lord, when don't I?  Movies reduce me to a puddle quicker than anything on this earth, for reasons as yet unplumbed.  Suffice to say the latest was Where the Wild Things Are for full-on streams of tears, but I got misty in HP7, pt 1 for sure.

How often do you go to the theater (as opposed to renting/watching at home)?
Maybe once a year.  It's just one of those things I never get around to making time or money for, but I agree that obnoxious patrons aside, it's still a pretty excellent way to spend an evening.

What’s the last film you saw in the theater?
HP7, pt1.

What’s your favorite/preferred genre of film?
Hmm. Probably British dramas of all periods, foreign comedies and some carefully-chosen Sci Fi and or Fantasy.


What’s the first film you remember seeing in the theater?
Snow White during the re-release in the early 80's.

What film do you wish you had never seen?
American History X.    Not because it's bad, but I think I will go to my grave with the image of the curb-stomp scene seared into my brain.  It makes me want to vomit just thinking about it...so I can't, and I won't.

What is the scariest film you’ve seen?
I generally can't watch horror films without it being through my fingers, and they stick with me way too long after for it to be appropriate for me to watch them anyway. Paranormal Activity was pretty freaky, and The Descent still trips me out, but I think I've been more disturbed by films portraying the nastiness of real life than actual horror films.

If you could be any character portrayed in a movie, who would it be?
Of those already filmed, probably Hermione, Arwen or Elinor Dashwood.  I've always wanted to play the female protagonist of The Witch of Blackbird Pond, one of my favorite books growing up, and would pay to have Emma Thompson write the screenplay for it with me in that role.  Or to play Meg Murray from the Wrinkle in Time series.

Total number of films you own on DVD and video.
I'm going to go count right now....23, to be exact.

Last film you bought.
Hmmm...well, this is sort of cheap.  I had to buy The Aviator for a Psych class last semester, and I sent it to Jim in a care package after he moved home, so I technically don't own it anymore.  Even better, I sent it to him for the obvious connection, and his response was, "Why would I watch that?  I will feel worse."  Good point....lol. 
 
Last film you watched.
Watching Harry Brown right now.

Five films that mean a lot to you.

1. Dirty Dancing because it was a favorite of Mom's and one of our Sunday morning housecleaning background staples.  "Friday..."  "I carried a watermelon?"  "Such junk, such junk!"
2. Amistad.   If I haven't told you the story before...my aunt Jinx and I went to see it back to back with As Good As It Gets on Christmas Day, with the comedy first.  Probably a good thing, because something about the slave ships opened a huge hole and I wept uncontrollably throughout the latter half of the film.  As in, walked out into the bathroom afterward with tears still streaming down my face and my chest hiccuping with sobs.  I cannot begin to tell you why a Matthew McConaughey movie of all things would have that profound of an effect, and the most plausible explanation I can come up with is past-life memories.  Who really knows.  But yeah, pretty insane day.
3. The Fellowship of the Ring, because I saw it with Roddy at Cinerama at his insistence ("You really need to see it like that") and it BLEW ME AWAY.  The scope and grandeur of the trilogy that still somehow managed to be so intimate, so personal, so magnificent...just love them all, but that was the kickoff, right there.
4. Eurotrip & Goldmember.  I'm cheating a little here, but they are both pretty broad, unsubtle comedies that I love nonetheless, and saw them both with guys I was involved with at the time, which always makes shared humor more memorable.  I'm not sure I'll ever stop laughing at, or quoting, either one.
5. The Water Babies.  Somehow in my early early youth, I came across this British movie, half actual actors, half animated, about a child chimney sweep who escapes abuse and drudgery by falling into a body of water (river?  ocean?) and gets transported into this underwater animated adventure story.  There's a song that the Water Babies sing as Tom gets nearer..."Too-rai la-lai-lahhhh..." that captivated me then, and I still hear it in my mind once in awhile.  Pretty hard-to-find flick nowadays too, and not nearly as awesome as I thought it was then overall, but it stars James Cagney, so I get to think of Eddie Izzard every time I'm reminded of it.  :)

Comments

Skye said…
Nice, nice, very nice. I should have known Clue and Princess Bride would be your quoteables. Nikki Bills will like that Paranormal Activity freaked you out :) Thanks for playin',
Unknown said…
I loved this, because it CLUED (booo....) me in to a couple movies I never saw; Mary and Max, and Amistad. Have to get on that. Movies for me are only quotable while they're fairly fresh in my mind, but *maybe* I'll give this line of questioning a shot on my own blog just to see Skye's reaction to the crap movies and people (Mandy Moore :)) that I love.

Popular Posts