Oh, For The Cry Eye!

I really wanted to entitle this post "In Defense of the Much-Maligned Teabag" (the reason to be explained further in) but I was afraid of the type of hits I'd get from search engines, considering the current political climate AND the type of websites my coworkers frequent.  (cough...Urban Dictionary...cough)

I appear to be developing my first sty; how I got through almost 35 years of life without one is beyond me, but judging from the symptoms and the horrors I see when I Google Image search, this swollen inner corner of my right eye is on its way to Styville.  The worst part is, I know exactly when and where it began, as my eye got irritated at roughly 10:15am at work on Wednesday and I (as they tell you never to do and we all do anyway) proceeded to rub and brush my lids and lashes in an attempt to deal with the irritation.  It continued to bother me the rest of the day and I woke up with it puffy and irritated, so I knew something different was in the works.

According to a couple of websites, it's simply a sebaceous gland in the lid that is plugged and infected.  According to a couple of others, it's caused by the staphylococcus bacteria.  Thanks to that latter definition...true or no...I'm now going in about a half-hour early to work on Monday, getting the hazmat-grade wipes from the supply area and scourging every item on my desk.  The project I'm working on involves multiple controllers and accessories, and of course we trade these back and forth between teams and individuals without thought, so I'm honestly surprised I haven't picked up something worse, like Abe's favorite:  necrotizing fasciitis.)


However, I may be in the process of staving off the worst of it by virtue of a home remedy that has already saved my healthy bacon once before.  When I had my wisdom teeth out a few years back, the oral surgeon said that if the bleeding didn't seem to want to stop (or I inadvertently started it up again with too-vigorous movements), the easiest way to get it to clot was to keep a used teabag resting over the gums for 10-20 minutes.  Apparently the tannins in tea are a powerhouse in the naturopathic world and come to find out, laying a slightly-cooled tea bag across the affected lid twice a day can stop a burgeoning sty in its tracks.

All of which leads up to a rather surreal evening in which I took a little homework break to bask in the glory of having a moist sack resting gingerly on my face while somehow still being home alone.

Beat that, Sheen!

Comments

Skye said…
Can't believe you said, "moist sack."

Sorry about the sty!

Popular Posts