This might be the last post on the subject if all goes well
I thought I'd finally hit "poo and condish" utopia when I found out the Yes To line had other options besides the Y2Carrots (previously tried and given away.) I grabbed the Y2Cucumbers first, because they were sulfate-, protein-, silicone- and paraben-free, and was excited at how my hair felt during the first shower with them. Cut to half a day later and the onset of scalp itching, and I knew that ignoring the "aloe barbadensis" in the ingredients was coming back to haunt me.
Did a bit more research and realized there was a new Y2 line called Yes To Blueberries with all the previous benefits and no aloe! Nobody carries the hair products around here, just the Y2B skin line, so I ordered some from the site and made do with what I had here until they arrived. Hair didn't feel as good in the shower, and definitely didn't feel good out of it...turns out I'd overlooked this little gem in the ingredients list:
Water (Aqua), Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Xanthan Gum, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides, Lupine Amino Acids, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil*, Ipomoea Batatas Root Lees Extract, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum)**, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol.
And my protein sensitivities were freaking out. Hair immediately felt like straw and behaved like a willful three-year old. Back to the drawing board I go!
I tried Google-searching "protein-free" shampoos one more time, hoping maybe I'd uncover something I missed. Sure enough, a new product and site appeared:
And not only was it minus all the ingredients that cause me problems, it was also designed (as a babies-to-adult product) to be helpfully scent-free as well. I found a local salon that ships the smallest non-sample size and ordered the shampoo and deep conditioner.
So far, it's fantastic. No itch, no flakes, no misbehavior, soft, only the cleanest of lingering scent, and in general designed to be good for us and good for the environment. Read the Founder's page and you'll see what I mean.
My only beef is that the local salon doesn't carry the larger sizes, and if this does become my go-to product set, I might as well invest in the 33oz-ers. It's supremely obnoxious of me to be doubly annoyed by the shipping cost and waiting period when I may have found my holy grail, but...I'm human, and I'm on a budget. Je ne regrette rien.


Comments