An Unveiling

The Kia rechristened itself this evening.

I've never really been 100% behind 'Ken' as the moniker of choice for my green goblin; it never really seemed to fit, but nothing else was coming to mind. Since all of my cars who had names basically named themselves, I knew the right thing would come along. I just didn't know when. I also wasn't expecting to be the proud owner of what might be the world's first transgendered vehicle, but then again, that's due more to her owner's lack of perception than any surgical procedure on the part of the Kia.

After a valiant 1.5 hour struggle to get home in crazy snow on one side of the lake and absolutely clear streets on the other, I was giving my car a little pat on the dash for a job well done when I realized that not only was I thinking of her as a HER but that a proper name was in order as a reward. I cleared my thoughts, letting the snowfall and the purr of the engine do their thing, and the 'click' that happens when something right falls into place occurred.

So I give you anew my 2005 Kia Sportage, resplendent in olive green and sexy shades on the side:

Penelope, aka Penny, my ice-lickin' queen of the streets. She kept me safe tonight, and all the people we passed on the way home, reeling off the sides and spinning out on the shoulders are testament to how hard a job that was. Good work, girl.

Comments

Unknown said…
Will you occasionally call her Ms. MoneyPenny for me?! I love it. A proper name is of the utmost importance in identifying with one's vehicle.

My Mavis can totally take your Penny.

Popular Posts