Ima Grip n' Sip, Part Deux

Entry number two in the still-unnamed Potent Potables blog...

Kiona 2006 Lemberger

Really delicious if you pull it in to the center of your tongue and let it sit there for a bit before swallowing, a sort of currant/cherry mix that poofs up a little airy aftertaste of the same flavor with a bit of an astrigent, almost eucalyptus sense. And I don't like eucalyptus...being that I lack a certain koala-esque tendency...but I like this. Not a random evening sipper wine, it's too strong for that, and too spiky for a dessert wine, but something I would buy again to pair with a non-sauced red meat dish, like a nice thick steak...can I call a cut of meat a 'fatty blunt' and get away with it?...and maybe some asparagus or Brussel sprouts. A little too bland in the general mouth feel (HA! I used it! Incorrectly, I'm sure!) to be a *great* wine, but it's a solid option for the price range.

Peet's Garuda blend, whole bean

Ah, Peet's. Your "Major Dickasen's Blend" is one of my all-time favorite coffees, and I forced myself to buy something different this time so that I could continue my fingerful musings on here. The Garuda sounded intriguing and shares a name with a critter from "Culdcept Saga," so really, figured I couldn't go too wrong. It smells fantastic...nutty and rich and no bitter soil scent, kind of like a Guinness coffee...but here's the problem: all of that brews out. And I brew my coffee with an assload of grounds, so it's not like it got rinsed out with the bathwater. None of that goodness is retained in the cup. So perhaps, if I tried a French Press or even an espresso shot of it, I might get back some of the joy of the smell. But for straight drip...such a shame.

Comments

Unknown said…
I don't how you can taste all this stuff going on in your mouth. When I drink wine, I'm just thinking about getting drunk :) Two thumbs up for daring to use 'mouth feel'.

Popular Posts