Installment the First
After getting a lot of grief and comments about how picky I am about the flavor of beverages I enjoy, I realized I should probably put my keyboard where my mouth is and start not only keeping track of what I imbibe, but blog about it. I'm no expert, and I won't start throwing around phrases like "mouth feel" and "the nose" because it'd be pretty apparent pretty quickly that I'm just a charlatan in the field. But I can, I think, put a name to some of the scents, tastes and feels that come across when I find them. Think of it as a sort of layman aficionado. ;)
However, I need a witty title. I thought maybe something like "The Tongue of T"...but I know my FB buds too well to risk that one...so hit me up if you have any suggestions.
I expect to primarily feature coffee, tea, wine, whiskey and beer, mostly because those are the ones I most enjoy, and enjoy in fairly 'bare' form...no mixins, no foof, just what it is. I ran into a couple of new tastes this weekend, and figured it'd be a good time to start it off. With no further ado...
Starbucks Clover brewed Organic Timor:
I've had the Clover brew a few times now, and generally am a fan. The process intensifies the flavor without increasing the bitterness, so I get the same concentration of taste as when I load up my ten cup filter but without the grounds and the dark, oily aftertaste that sits on the roof of your mouth with a too-strong drip brew. The Timor had a great odor as they were loading up the brew machine...earthy and dark, and was listed as having "fig and dark chocolate" flavors. Sign me up, right?
Flowers, flowers, flowers. It was all I could taste. I tried letting it cool a bit, rolling it around, even hitting up different sections of tastebuds, just in case I'd scalded the appropriate ones on the first sip. No good. I have mentioned before that I am not a fan of floral drinks, regardless of the "genre," and this was no exception. Like a mouthful of a mild shampoo, the only saving grace was a nonexistent aftertaste. What a shame.
Spaten Optimator Doppelbock
Like I told Freddie, "It...sparkles!" But not, I promise you, like vampires in the sun. Darker than an IPA but almost sweet, the closest I could really compare it to is a dry white wine. Not citrus-y but with a subtle fruit undertone, not bitter, a smooth and enjoyable beer that will, nonetheless, make you feel it the next day if you have enough.
However, I need a witty title. I thought maybe something like "The Tongue of T"...but I know my FB buds too well to risk that one...so hit me up if you have any suggestions.
I expect to primarily feature coffee, tea, wine, whiskey and beer, mostly because those are the ones I most enjoy, and enjoy in fairly 'bare' form...no mixins, no foof, just what it is. I ran into a couple of new tastes this weekend, and figured it'd be a good time to start it off. With no further ado...
Starbucks Clover brewed Organic Timor:
I've had the Clover brew a few times now, and generally am a fan. The process intensifies the flavor without increasing the bitterness, so I get the same concentration of taste as when I load up my ten cup filter but without the grounds and the dark, oily aftertaste that sits on the roof of your mouth with a too-strong drip brew. The Timor had a great odor as they were loading up the brew machine...earthy and dark, and was listed as having "fig and dark chocolate" flavors. Sign me up, right?
Flowers, flowers, flowers. It was all I could taste. I tried letting it cool a bit, rolling it around, even hitting up different sections of tastebuds, just in case I'd scalded the appropriate ones on the first sip. No good. I have mentioned before that I am not a fan of floral drinks, regardless of the "genre," and this was no exception. Like a mouthful of a mild shampoo, the only saving grace was a nonexistent aftertaste. What a shame.
Spaten Optimator Doppelbock
Like I told Freddie, "It...sparkles!" But not, I promise you, like vampires in the sun. Darker than an IPA but almost sweet, the closest I could really compare it to is a dry white wine. Not citrus-y but with a subtle fruit undertone, not bitter, a smooth and enjoyable beer that will, nonetheless, make you feel it the next day if you have enough.

Comments
'The Sustaining of The Brew'?
:)